Thursday, October 25, 2007

Bankside contoversy

Concerns that a nightclub was on its way to a prominent Saltburn spot have been dismissed. The former Bankside pub is in the middle of a £450,000 refit prior to becoming Vista Mar, which is Spanish for sea view. But an application for a 3am licence provoked suspicion from some locals, who fear a noisy nightclub scenario.
That application has now been revised to 2am by Dave Stokes who will own and run the 'restaurant and concept bar', in conjunction with Enterprise Inns Ltd.
Some residents have voiced opposition to the bid for a licence to allow music, singing and dancing in the premises until 2am. These concerned residents are not opposed to developing the seafront and think the idea of a restaurant is a great idea but they are concerned that the late night concept, with a licence for music, singing and dancing until 2.am will lead to problems with noise and nuisance.
Mr Stokes, former tenant at Windsor’s bar in the town, said the site had been crying out for a good quality bar-restaurant. The development is not intended to be a nightclub - it’s a bar-restaurant where people can chill and enjoy good service in comfort. He added that there would be no dance floor, no DJs - just a background music system. He emphasised that the site had been an eyesore for some time and that everyone wanted something doing with it. Mr Stokes said he was happy to talk to anyone concerned about the plans. He stated that he was aware that the Bankside site had had its problems and a certain reputation over the years but his idea is to create an environment where people can have a good meal, a drink and enjoy the view in comfort. On the food side, Mr Stokes is employing three full-time chefs and providing an expanded kitchen. And so customers can drink in the sea view, a large balcony area, complete with floor to ceiling glass and an outside area, is being built.
The planned opening date is December 6.

1 comment:

seasalt said...

Mr Stokes has now withdrawn the 2am application, although he intends to resubmit it in the New Year.

He said: “A lot of people have been misled about what the venue will be like, this will give people a chance to come in and see it before the application is resubmitted.

“We’re due to open on December 6 and we want people to come and see the place, as I’m planning to resubmit the application in January. It is only to allow one extra hour.

“People like to eat and drink later nowadays and this just reflects that.”

Mr Stokes, who has run pubs in Saltburn for around eight years, said he was happy to talk to anyone concerned about the plans.